32nd Shodh Yatra Punjab,28th December, 2013 to 2nd January, 2014
we pay tribute to the valiant efforts of Sant Balbir Singh Seechewal who mobilized local communities to clean the Kali bein river when state and the legal systems proved inadequate in the matter
The next Shodh Yatra will bepursued in JalandharDistrict, Punjab, from 28th December to 2nd January, 2014. Those desirousof embarking upon this unique learning expedition may join n 28th December 2013care of Sant Balbir Singh Ji, C/o.Nirmal Kuteya Seechewal Post Office:- Chak Chella, Tehsil:- Shahkot, Pin code:144701, Distr:- Jalandhar-Punjab by evening 4:00 p m. Departure ispossible on 2nd January 2014, 02:00 pm onwards.
The temperature during the Yatra isexpected to be 18-20 degrees max during daytime and 4-5 degrees or lesser at night.
In order to learn from four teachers, onewithin, one around, one in nature and one among common people- a learning walk is organised by SRISTI (Societyfor Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions),Ahmedabad, supported by various sisterinstitutions of Honey bee Network in particular National Innovation Foundation.Twice a year, the ShodhYatra takes place in different parts of thecountry, with support of the Honey Bee Network. The aim of this yatra is to felicitate creativepeople at their doorsteps. We try to learn from the wisdom of local communities,grassroots innovators, traditional knowledge holders, students with innovativeideas and other individual change agents making significant contribution tosociety in conserving bio‐diversity, promoting educational innovations, supportingcultural creativity, revitalizing local secular and sustainable institutionsetc. The ShodhYatris comprisingacademics, scientists, innovators, villagers, students and others walk about100 -125 km over a period of six days to learn and share the message of wisdomat grassroots. Biodiversity, and idea competitions are organized among childrenand recipe contests are organized among local women in some of the villages. Special attention is paid to recipes with atleast one less known or uncultivated plant as an ingredient).
ShodhYatra helps in reaching out to remote and neglected parts of the country with a firmbelief that natural and social hardshipsand challenges are the prime triggers for creativity and innovation. Traditionalknowledge and grassroots innovations are scouted and disseminated that have not only simplified the lives ofmen, women and farm labourers but have also significantly contributed towardthe conservation of biodiversity and other natural resources and environmentalquality. The Shodh Yatra will thus aim at:
· Felicitation of localinnovators and traditional knowledge holders.
· Organising traditionalrecipe competitions and biodiversity competitions to promote awareness of, andresponsibility for local biodiversity and other resource conservation
· understanding localdevelopmental issues and problems faced by villagers
· Sharing open sourceinformation available with SRISTI and NIF which may have local applications assuch, or as a metaphor, or a heuristic or as a constellation of factors orgestalt.
· Identification ofcentenarians, enterprising women and children, artisans, rural researchers andpeople contributing to the preservation of natural resources and /or associatedknowledge.
· Encourage preparation oflocal knowledge register including climatic, botanical, material and skilldiversity.
· Understanding creativityin designing and adapting local commonproperty institutions, studying educational, cultural and other socialinnovations
· Promoting low cost, affordableand sustainable organic farming andresource use technologies.
How to reach
By Rail: Sultanpur Lodi (20 km from ChakChella village)
By Bus: Sultanpur Lodi (20 km from Chak Chella Village)
By Air: Ludhiana is the nearest airport, 70 km from Chak Chella village
For further information pl contact Mr. Ramesh B Patel (Mobile:9825061139) or send an emailto email@example.com
AES Boy’s Hostel Campus
Nr. Gujarat University Library and SBI Bank
Tel: 079-27912792, 27913293